There are many, many good reasons for eating home made red cabbage sauerkraut!
- Sauerkraut is a natural probiotic which helps the gut bacteria to become healthy.
- Sauerkraut aids the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach to increase digestion
- Sauerkraut is easy to digest as the cellulose has been broken down so bad bacteria in the gut don’t get to use it as food
- Sauerkraut naturally contains vitamin K2 from the natural bacteria created in the process of making sauerkraut.
- Red cabbage sauerkraut reduces homocysteine levels. Low homocysteine levels are a good sign for heart and arterial health
- Red cabbage sauerkraut contains phytonutrients, nutrients such as vitamins.
- Red cabbage sauerkraut contains polyphenols, these are antioxidants.
- Red cabbage sauerkraut contains anthocyanins – red and blue pigments – that protect the brain and aid digestion.
- Red cabbage sauerkraut contains contain sulforaphane glucosinolate a highly reactive antioxidant. In extensive studies, sulforaphane has been demonstrated to be a potent inducer of detoxifying enzymes and protector of our DNA.