Whole of house replacement filter descriptions…
- Radial Flow Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) Filter for Town Water: For chlorine and chemical removal. At 620 kPa you get a flow of 15.1 Lpm and after 378,541 litres usage, you will still have 15.2 Lpm. This means you will get between 18 to 24 months of filter life with this filter.
- ULTRA-D Sub-micron Depth Filtration Series manufactured using proprietary, patented electro-adsorptive media technology, is capable of removing submicron pathogens and inorganic contaminants through electro-adhesion and ion exchange. Review the Ultra-D fact sheet.
- Sediment Filter for both Tank and Town Water sources. Sediment filters remove visible particulate matter and any particles like dirt, sand, dust, and debris that is caught in the micron-rating fibres. They also remove turbidity from water. Turbidity is the cloudiness caused in water by the heavy presence of suspended solids in the water. Comes in nominal 1mu, 5 mu, 10 mu, 20mu (special order) and 1mu absolute rated*. With filter sizing as a general rule, the smaller the micron rating for a filter the better. However, there is a trade-off, flow capability usually drops off as the micron rating gets smaller, especially if the water has a lot of sediment.
- Granulated Active Carbon (GAC) / KDF Filter for Tank Water: Combines with the AlkaWay Whole of House Filter Reduction Cartridge. Description: 1 x 5 micron is universally recognized and widely used as an absorbent for a wide variety of organic contaminants such as chlorine (99.9%) and Trihalomethanes: a combination of chlorine and organic matter, pesticides, and removes bad taste and odour (Call us for this filter 1800 268 469 as it has been replaced by the Ultra-D).
Silver infusion of carbon inhibits bacteria growth which is a better option when filtering tank water
For tank water, to maximise the filter life, we recommended cleaning your water tank regularly. This will reduce the likelihood of sediment from the water tank prematurely blocking up the filters. Especially after longer than normal wet or dry spells and/or when the water in the tanks is running low.
If you’re concerned about your rainwater tanks there are products available to kill all nasties bacteria (pathogens) in your tanks. One on the market today is called “Tanksafe” (contained 7.9% Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) non-dangerous according to Australian Dangerous Goods Code 7th Edition (ADG7). 2L treats 32,000L, in 24 hours your tank will be pathogen-free for up to 2 months.
* An absolute 1-micron filter traps 99.9 % of particles of 1 micron and larger. An absolute rating is the size of the smallest particle retained by a filter with a stated efficiency, such as 99%, under defined test conditions. Absolute ratings are typically applied to the membrane or high-performance non-woven filters.