Residents of Deerfield will have to use boiled water or use bottled water until at least Wednesday at noon. That is because fecal coliform bacteria was found in the water supply.
“Fecal coliform is a bacteria that can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches or other symptoms,” said Andrew Lichterman, assistant to the village manager.
Lichterman says boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dished and food preparation. This type of bacteria can occur when there is increased runoff into the water supply or there is a break into the distribution system.
The village will be conducting tests throughout the next 24 hours.
Neighbors in Deerfield are stocking up on all the bottled drinking water they can get.