Choosing the Best Electronic Ionizing Water Alkaliser
Obviously choosing the best of something one knows little about isn't the easiest process.
As the longest serving water alkalizing supplier in the country, we have seen many newcomer ionizer/alkaliser companies come and go. So we are in a unique position to advise on what you need to look for.
Most ionizing water alkalisers do what they are designed to do.
There are now (at last count) around fifty models on the market, from Taiwan, China, and Korea.
Most companies look the same, but our experience has been that many are very small operations using the power of the net to appear far bigger and more established. One oft-repeated claim we see is that they are 'the biggest' supplier in their country; a claim impossible to verify unless we were to visit the factory and look at the marketplace.
Here at AlkaWay we have spent years sourcing reliable suppliers around the globe and we know through direct experience that South Korea, Taiwan and Japan are large scale users of water alkalisers. In Japan, AlkaWay type systems are known as Kangen water filters. here in Australia we also refer to our water ionizers by the same name.
But What Should I Look For?
Most people are looking for the same thing. Let's break it down.
The Easiest Operation
Operator Ease of use
Alkalisers may be divided into two basic types;
- Alkaliser flow rate (and therefore pH) is adjusted by adjusting the faucet flow rate. You need to try to get the same flow rate every time you turn on your kitchen faucet. usually on cheaper models.
- Alkaliser flow rate is set by either an in line input valve or an on board valve.
The Easiest and most kitchen-friendly
All AlkaWay water alkalisers have either in line or on board flow control. This gives you the assurance and security of similar pH water output with every use.
- The Alphion Ionizing Water Alkaliser is the easiest of all to use because it can be attached directly to the cold water mains and operated by a simple touch of a button.
- The Delphi Ionizing Water Alkaliser is attached directly to the cold water mains and is flow adjusted by an in line valve.
- The Melody Ionizing Water Alkaliser can also be attached to the mains but requires a dial to be turned to a specific point to get the same flow rate.
- The Venus Ionizing Water Alkaliser is the same as the Melody.
Auto Cleanse Considerations
All water alkalisers perform two basic functions; alkaline water production and auto cleanse. The auto cleanse washes away any minerals that may have accumulated on the ioniser plates in the ionising chamber. This is usually performed by reversing the electrical current in the chamber after or before use, and running water through the chamber. This causes a repelling charge on the plates which makes any attached minerals to be repelled and flushed away.
If a water ioniser does not perform this function, it will accumulate a coating on the plates and performance will slowly be lost. All AlkaWay water alkalisers have an automatic cleanse system that requires no operator input. The Alphion and the Delphi have the auto-reverse system, the Melody has a post-cleanse system as does the Venus.
The following methods may be employed:
- The ioniser asks the operator to press a cleanse button at regular intervals: perhaps the best for water saving, but it does require operator input to initiate
- The ioniser always performs a cleanse before use; the most water wasteful and operator-annoying.
- The ioniser always performs a cleanse after use: also water wasteful but easiest for the operator because there is no waiting until the cleanse is complete.
- The ioniser reverses polarity of the chamber with every use; most water saving and efficient. The downside has more complicated internals.
Things to watch for with Alternative Suppliers
- Can you turn off the voice prompts or music before it drives you crazy?
- Does it self-cleanse every time you use it, making you wait and waste water?
- The Easiest and Most Kitchen-Friendly installation.
- All AlkaWay models come with Western-designed manuals, rather than locally translated manuals.
- Your AlkaWay specialist's role is to assure you of a trouble-free installation and is available Mon-Fri to assist you.
- The average maximum installation time for a Venus, Melody or Alphion is 30 minutes when attached to a kitchen faucet, but a plumber may be required if it is attached to the cold water mains inlet.
- Because of our long experience in water alkalisers there is nothing we haven't seen. rest assured, our support will solve any problem you may encounter.
- The Melody can be adapted to an under sink installation but a plumber is required.
- The Delphi is specifically designed for under sink installation and a plumber may also be required.
Things to watch for on alternative supplier models:
- Always ask to see the manual before purchase.
- Be very clear about how the unit self-cleanses. Some models are difficult for less technically adept people because they are not user-friendly. - - - Ask yourself; would Auntie Maud be able to use it at 2am in the morning?
- Be sure the unit cannot deliver acid water by mistake.
- Ask if the unit has history. How long since its release in Australia? How long has the seller been servicing it?
The Most Reliable Ionizing Water Alkaliser
- It is only reasonable to expect many years of reliability from an investment of this magnitude. A good alkaliser will be from a supplier with history that has the volume of sales to support active research and development. AlkaWay is the only specialist supplier in Australia distributing the Emco Tech range of alkalisers. (see more about Emco here)
- A trap for new players is the promise of amazingly long warranties form some smaller suppliers. These are usually offered based on the idea that the supplier will be able to sell off the company before the warranty begins to cost money. We maintain accurate records of all models' performance and our warranties reflect real life performance rather than sales technique.
- Many new alkalisers, especially those manufactured in China, are of dubious quality.
The Best Performer
- This is the area most people get confused. Sellers are apt to use high-tech terms designed to confuse.
The other area that causes confusion is the many web sites claiming to be independent test sites. Only the ones that clearly state their interest should be believed.
- However performance isn't really hard to assess. We can, fundamentally, look at ORP or pH and price. If a model says it has the best pH and ORP, one needs then to compare the increased 'performance' with the price, especially given that some alkalisers ask hugely inflated prices just to support their marketing systems.
- The other very important 'reality check' is that extra performance at the top and bottom end of the pH scale will (in almost all cases) never be used. So purchasing a unit that gives slightly better high or low end pH readings is like buying a car with a top end speed you will never be able to safely use.
- The reality is that you will almost always drink alkaline water in the range of pH 8.5 to 9.5. There really is no great need for higher pH - even though all AlkaWay models are capable of it.
- There is one other 'performance' issue. The filters the alkaliser uses to remove chlorine and organics from the inlet water vary greatly in quality. Many smaller alkaliser makers appear to have a policy of selling their alkaliser cheap and making their money on inferior filter cartridge replacements.
Things to watch for on alternative supplier website's:
- Website's that claim independence and then attempt to sell you a specific model that they just happen to say is the best.
- Website's or videos with white-coat-clad 'lab technicians' but with no actual laboratory information.
- Extremely 'good' pricing; often denotes a business in trouble.
- Performance that is far better than other alkalisers. All performance is always subject to flow rate and mineral composition of inlet water, and there are many ways to falsify test results.
- American sites promising Australian service. We DO NOT service alkalisers purchased in the US - even Emco Tech models.
Where To Next
|Ionizing Water Alkalisers||What is a water alkaliser and how does it work?|
|Alkaline Health||How does a water alkaliser help me?|
|More Water Alkalisers||The chemistry of negative hydrogen water|
|About Water||The quality of your source water is critical.|
|About Acid/Alkaline||Vitality and physical wellbeing is a daily balancing act.|
|Our Products||Details our main products.|
|Shop Now||Shopping cart and checkout.|