Toxic, acidifying chemicals are everywhere – in the air we breathe, in municipal water, and in auto exhaust. As if this were not enough, indoor air pollution is a also problem, especially in office and retail environments.
There’s no need to add to the toxic stew by using harmful chemical cleaning solutions, especially when there are safe alternatives that are easy to get or make at home.
Here are just a few of the toxic chemicals in common household cleaners – and remember, in addition to their individual characteristics, they are all acidifying:
Ammonia, found in a wide variety of cleaners, can cause kidney and liver damage. It’s also a neurotoxin and can inhibit the synthesis of critical neurotransmitters.
Butyl cellusolve (a.k.a. butyl glycol and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether), found in general degreasers, oven cleaners, spot removers, and glass and carpet cleaners. It’s a neurotoxin and reproductive toxin that’s capable of rapidly penetrating skin and can also cause damage to the liver and kidneys.
Diethanolamine (DEA), used in a many cleaning products, has been classified by the State of California as a suspected carcinogen. It is toxic to the skin and respiratory system.
D-limonene is included in many “natural” products. Although it’s made from orange peels, the end product is a highly concentrated neurotoxin that can also cause respiratory issues.
Ortho phenylphenol, found in many all-purpose cleaners, can cause which is a severe eye and skin irritant.
Parabens are used as preservatives in a wide range of cleaning products and have been shown to disrupt the endocrine system.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), a chemical that increases the lathering capability of cleaning products, is a known skin irritant. More importantly, it can exacerbate that action of other toxic chemicals.
Toluene is a solvent that California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment has identified as a reproductive toxin that can damage the unborn.
Xylene, found in scuff and graffiti removers and adhesives, is a neurotoxin that can cause memory loss.
Do you want any of these chemicals touching your clothing or skin or polluting the air you and your family breathe inside your home?