BELLAIRE, Ohio – Water service for thousands of residents returned to normal Tuesday, a day after the system was flushed to remove hydrochloric acid accidentally added to the village’s supply.
Forty pounds of the acid were added to Bellaire’s water Sunday after a supplier shipped the wrong chemical and the filtration system crew mistook the containers for fluoride. The error was discovered Monday morning when workers noticed fluoride levels were lower than normal.
“Unfortunately, the drums are all the same size and the same color,” water department superintendent Kirk Baker said.
The chemical drums were labeled, however, said Janet Barth, an official with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
Baker said crews opened fire hydrants and drained the system to clean it.
“All I can say is it was an unfortunate accident and it won’t happen again,” he said.
Ian: not on his watch, anyway! But serously: if a guy can just ‘mistake’ a drum of highly toxic chemicals in a municipal water supply plant.. is there still an reason not to have a reasonable to excellent water filtration system?